Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Remembering Billye Keister (Grandma Nan)...

 John's Grandma Nan passed away early Friday morning July 3rd.  It hurts how much we are going to miss this spunky, classy lady.  Visiting with her has always been a highlight for our trips to Oklahoma.  
When we visited her home, she was always very warm and welcoming.  She would pull out a big basket of toys and get down on the floor (even though she was in her 90's) to play with her grand kids.  
 Rissy looking up at her Great Grandma.
 She rocked both James and Rissy in this rocker of Grandma Clarissa's.  I feel so blessed to have inherited it a few years ago.  It is over 100 years old and creaks loudly as it rocks.  I love that it will always remind me of Nan.  
John and the kids taking a nap on Nan's living room floor Thanksgiving 2012.  
 Nan had a lot of class.  She made me want to step it up as a mom - her example makes me want to iron the kids clothes more, set the table with real dishes, and maintain a clean house.
 Even though there was never a thing out of place in her condo, she made us feel comfortable letting the kids play.
 This picture is from an Sunday brunch in her home.  I still remember the delicious egg casserole.  She was an outstanding cook.  On our last visit I thought about asking her to pull out some of her favorite recipes from her box for me to copy.  I am glad I at least have her Thanksgiving recipes and pumpkin bread.  The last few years she would always send us with a loaf of pumpkin or banana bread for our drive home to Texas.   It meant the world because we would get home late to an empty fridge and pantry but would be able to feast on her yummy homemade bread.


 John has told me many fond memories of Christmases past and sleep overs at Nan's house growing up.  He used to mow her lawn every week when he was young and I know how much he enjoyed that special time with her.  When she found out my fondness of antique china, she was so generous to give me some of hers.  I am glad she was able to watch me enjoy them the last few years.  They are my prized possessions.
On our trip to OKC a couple weeks ago, Nan was pretty sick.  She has been living with Carla the last year and on this visit she hardly came out of her room.  The last day she came outside and watched the kids play.  She was quite taken with Rissy and kept saying she wished her Aunt Claudia (who was away in Dallas) could see her.  It was a really nice afternoon and in her own special way she made us all feel loved.  I am thankful for Nan's presence in our lives.  She will be sorely missed.  We will always remember you  Nan!

John's dad sent this video to us a few years ago.  I loved watching it and learning more about this great lady.  

3 comments:

John said...

Honey, thanks so much for your thoughtful post. I miss Nan so much - thanks for capturing such fun memories of her.

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear of your loss. she sounds like an incredible woman.

DuyP said...

My condolences. Ms. Keister was a very nice lady. I use to deliver her mail when she lived on N Villa, about 3-4 years ago when I was filling in for her regular carrier. She gave me apricot bread one Christmas and her banana nut bread was one of the best I've had. I remember one time she told me about one of her grandsons had gotten hurt really bad from something like a jet ski or boating accident, and she was so worried about him. I will always remember her smile, I only wish I got to see her before she moved. She will be missed.

Duy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...