Friday, May 31, 2013

A Romanian Holiday...

Bucharest is such an interesting place.  It was once called Little Paris in the early 1900's because of the architecture and Arc de Triumphe replica.  But after the communist regime came in, the city fell into ruins.  So today it is a mixture of dilapidated neoclassical buildings and concrete box apartments.  Not as picture perfect as Paris, however, there are bright roses and beautiful parks dotting the blocks that help soften the city.  I am  loving traveling somewhere so new and exciting.  It is like no where I've ever been or seen on tv.  I am completely fascinated with this place, the people, and it's history.
 My eyes have once more been opened to the detriment of communism similar to my trip to China.  I would have loved to see this place at the turn of the twentieth century. 





 
 While John was at work I walked all over the city and went to The Museum of Peasant History.  I loved seeing the intricate stitched white linen dresses.  I wish I could have gone crazy taking pictures but they wanted to charge me 70 lei so I put my lens away.





 




I am having the time of my life.  It is so nice to not worry about the kids.  We skype with them every night and it is apparent they aren't missing us at all.  Carla is taking perfect care of them.  I haven't been so relaxed and carefree in years.  Business trips minus the business (for me anyway) rock this mama's Romanian socks.  Tomorrow we leave for a weekend away in the Carpathian Mountains.  Can't wait!

6 comments:

Aunt Claudia said...

So happy that you are having such a wonderful time! Loved seeing the photos. Have you ever read the short story "The Interlopers"? The setting is in the midst of the Carpathian Mountains. If I were still teaching, I would ask you to send me photos, but, alas, too late. I'm looking forward to the next post. - Love, Aunt Claudia

jessica&john.com said...

Thanks Aunt Claudia! It means so much to us that you read our blog. John is looking the story up on his computer right now. I am excited to read it!

Heather said...

Wow, what an interesting place it must be.

ColleenDown said...

What a treat to wake up and see this--even though it takes a while to load here in the mountains! So interesting-I have another book, like Aunt Claudia, "How I lived through Communism and Learned to Laugh" You will gain a new appreciation for those box buildings--and a ball of string! The street picture with the cafe was so "Paris" Enjoy the weekend we are all anxiously awaiting to see what you see! (I hope all is well at Carla's house in OK!)

Anonymous said...

I too am happy you and John are enjoying your trip. I know he was getting tired of going alone. Your babies and I are happy. Lots of cartoon fun!

Anonymous said...

wow! couples getaways are the best, and it looks like you two are having an amazing time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...