Friday, November 19, 2010

England swings like a rusty gate... Fish and chips on a greasy plate...Hairy legs and a toothless smile...makes me wonder if it's all worthwhile...


That's just a little tune I sung in front of the entire first grade when I was five. My teacher was telling us about the London bridge. I raised my hand and said my dad had lived there a few years and taught me a song about England I could share... so I stood up and sung it loud and clear hitting my high note at hairy legs...Ahh to have the confidence of a kid again:)

So, here are my London pictures...A little late and probably not worth the wait for anyone but the people pictured. But I was saving my posting for a time when I needed a pick-me-up... And this my peeps is just that week. It is frigid, James has a cold, and I am lacking some serious motivation to get moving. So I've been sifting through my pictures in
Picasa reminiscing of more lovelier days in London.

I would describe Paris as decadent and Disneylandish and London as hip and Harry Potterish. By now our curling irons were fried by the circuits of Paris, so hair was all natural, we were going on very little sleep, and our clothes were wrinkled from being washed in the hotel sinks. But ahhh, the memories that were in the making... and back to the song...I would say I no longer have to wonder... this place was worth my while by a mile!

We took the Eurostar train from Paris to London.

First night in London... enjoying some fish and chips in a pub.

Shopping spree at Harrod's department store...okay we just pretended like we were the petroleum princesses who could actually afford to buy a handbag...that is, until the department store clerk's "up and down" looks let us know we were not welcome. But if I were 16 again and going to prom, I might pickpocket just to get my hands on this pink Oscar de la Renta dress.

Westminister Abbey... the place prince William and Kate might tie the knot in not so long ...Yup, I have a sick baby right now so I've spent a little time in front of the telle. I am in the know of all things nuptial right now in the united kingdom.
Playing at the Piccadilly Circus. Notice Heather with her nose in a metro map. She was the designated navigator during all our travels. Hallelujah to Heather for getting us around the metro system without hardly a mistake. Her sense of direction is something that this sister definitely didn't get blessed with.

Hyde Park

We saw Billy Elliot on Broadway. It really was everything that the posters professed. It was entertaining, life changing, and magnificent!

The Royal Highness's house...Buckingham Palace

Jersey Boys on Broadway was Brilliant too. Just not as mind blowing as Billy Elliot:) And I just found out you can see this show in Las Vegas...which is a bit closer than London:)

More pictures of the historical Hyde park

The Globe Theater.


Platform 9 and 3/4. A hot spot for Harry Potter fans.

Portobello Market. Best. Strawberries. Of. My. Life!

P.S. Portobello road, I am pinching myself for not purchasing more of your vintage costume jewelry...b/c Claire's Boutique just doesn't quite compare!

British History Museum...The resting place of relics such as the Rosetta Stone.

The touristy Tower of London

more Tower of London


Paying homage to the Beatles at Abbey Road.


So that is London through through this gal’s lens. Please go on a vacay with your mom and sistas if you have an opportunity. Go without hair dye, Dillards, or restaurant dinner dates. I did, and Europe was an extraordinary experience I won’t ever forget. Thanks to all the Down gals who were up for an adventure. I can't wait to do it again... b/c eventually Athens will be calling my name:)

7 comments:

ColleenDown said...

It makes me all teary eyed. What an adventure! Plus everything looks exciting through your camera lens.

Anonymous said...

Haha, love the song and love the pics even more! Looks like you guys had a blast! Athens? Okay, adopt me so I can come with you Down girls :)

Heather said...

It is so worthwhile. Thanks for the London fix. I've been craving it this week.

lulu said...

LOVE these pictures! Brought lots of London memories back for me as well.
I especially love the picture of that little old British couple reading on the tube. haha so classic.
I want to go back to London now....

cathyg said...

Great post, Jessica, but I want a live performance of the song you started with! Love the pictures, I hope it cheered you up to post them.

The Vreelands said...

How fun is that! You guys look like you had a blast.

Michelle Wilkes said...

Oh, you SSOOOOO make me want to go there. Next time, take me, we'll see all the same spots, plus a little Jane Austen!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...