Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Oh My Nola...

  
This is the last of my pictures from the pretty Parrish of New Orleans.  We spent the last of our trip walking around the old mansions in the Garden District.  I loved every minute of it and as I strolled around the neighborhoods my arm linked with John, I pretended I was living in the days of parasols and petticoats. 

  Someone give me some sweet lemonade, and a good book, and a porch swing!  I adore these double decker  houses.
The branches are all accessorized with shimmering pearls- pretty remnants of the Mardi Gras Parade.

We walked through a lovely old cemetery in the neighborhood.   All the headstones are above ground because of the low watertable.  It may be morbid, but I think graveyards are romanitc. You can surmise stories of love, life, and tragedy from the engravings and memorials.  I always leave reminded of how precious this life is and how I need to enjoy every minute. 
Bob the stroller does the Bayou.  I can't believe the miles we are putting on this guy!  He is definetly part of the family.  
We were constantly sprinkled with a light powdering of sugar from the beignets we bought along the way.


John said this pose was not appropriate:) ...
So I tried again:)


Our travel companions, The Carter Fam. Jackson's face looks like he might have seen a ghost.

This is how we would tame our tots so we could get our gumbo on.



Here is my Top Ten New Orleans in a Nutshell, for my blogging friend, Michelle. I hope I'm not too late:)
  • Walk down the Exchange Place- a quiet narrow street with a few restaurants and galleries. 
  • Stroll down the streets of the Garden District and enjoy the beautiful architecture and old graveyards. 
  • Eat Beignets on the patio of Café Beignet. (Just watch out for the birds in the trees above. ...speaking from a traumatic experience...ick!). 
  • Eat somewhere with live music.  We ate at Market Café late at night and watching musicians  play under the moonlight was magic.
  • Pretend like you know what you are doing and find a court yard of a fancy hotel to rest your feet.
  • Enjoy the street performers at Jackson Square
  • Take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride at night and get a history tour.
  • Stand in the long line at The Central Grocery for a Muffuletta sandwich.  It's a long wait, but worth every bite.
  • Get lost strolling around the safe parts of the city, visiting the art galleries, and peeking in the windows of the fortune tellers and Voodoo doctors.
  • Next time I hope to take an alligator swamp tour or visit one of their old plantations.  Can’t wait!  

8 comments:

ColleenDown said...

I am going to send this to all the Ussery relatives who have such fond memories of the "Big Easy"--I just know that location is somehow built into our DNA and that deep down you are a Southern Belle. I think you should try and sell a few of these to the New Orleans Tourist Bureau! (Oh to live where the Roses bloom in January)

ColleenDown said...

I forgot to say how much I love the music, I have checked back a couple of times just to listen to it!

Anonymous said...

those pictures are GORGEOUS! I don't think that picture was inappropriate, it made me smile :)

Dale said...

I loved the garden district too the last time I was there. So beautiful. It makes me feel so unsatisfied with modern residential architecture.

Heather said...

Maybe we should come and stay for a month so we can not only experience Houston, but all the amazing places within a days drive. Too bad we have school...and work...and not all the money we want. Thanks for making a way for me to experience it vicariously and for continuing to blog even though the rest of us have slacked.

Romney said...

I finally feel like I am getting my life under controrl and can look at a nlog or 2! New Orleans hasn't really been a place I've dreamed of visiting but your pictures and descriptions make me want to hop on a plane and go! With you there to show me around of course! Looks like an awesome trip! Miss you guys!

Romney said...

I finally feel like I am getting my life under controrl and can look at a nlog or 2! New Orleans hasn't really been a place I've dreamed of visiting but your pictures and descriptions make me want to hop on a plane and go! With you there to show me around of course! Looks like an awesome trip! Miss you guys!

In Touch said...

wow! Gorgeous pics! Can we go back now? :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...