Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Heart Just Skipped a Beat For The Big Easy:)

We finally made it to the real Mardi Gras mccoy, New Orleans!  As you can see from previous posts: here and here, we've been pretending to take a Cajun vacation for quite awhile.  My dear great grandma Nana was a French speaking Creole lady and she didn't pass until I was in college, so I've always had a Cajun connection and longed to visit this lovely place.
I guess I had low expectations because of Katrina, but I was completely blown away by it's beauty and I felt like I was in a different country.  The streets reminded me of a small scale Paris...but less pretentious and a lot more colorful.  Oooooh!  I am absolutely crazy about this place and the delicious food, art, architecture, music, nice people...I could go on forever.  But I am afraid my prose will  fail me...so I'll do what I do best, post too many pictures...

We went with some of our awesome new friends, Jackie, Ryan, and little Jackson.  Props to Jackie for walking all day with a baby on the way.



 I stole this picture from Jackie.  This place was to die for...or just wait in a really long line for:)
 Beignets, a breakfast staple if you are wandering the streets.








 

Baby Brees in honor of Drew's record-breaking game as we walked down Bourbon Street.



This is me getting duped by a street dude.  We gave him a dollar to do a trick, but the trick was on me. It turned out to be a mannequin.

 This was so worth the hour wait John stood in line!





Chandelier Shop
 Sneaking into a ritzy hotel.
The fabulous hotel courtyard where we rested and let the boys run wild..  

John enjoying the view of the balcony.  J/k.  Honestly I didn't even know that stuff went on until we came home and my mom told me.  I guess we stuck to the more family friendly parts and missed the flashers.







We took a romantic (as romantic as it gets with two rambunctious toddlers) night carriage ride through the French quarter.
 My favorite memory of the trip was our last night eating a bowl of gumbo in a warm cafe while Jazz musicians serenaded us from the street.  I live for 'life is good" moments like this.

In Utah we lived seven hours from Vegas and now we are seven hours from New Orleans.  I guess we are destined to live seven hours from sin;)  But what's life without a city of lights, and a little spice...Cajun spice that is:)

5 comments:

ColleenDown said...

Oh the pictures I have been waiting for! You captured it so well. It looks a lot less crowded than when we were there. I love the colors and sounds but now I am sooo hungry. Cafe de Monde-I even remember that from my trip when I was five! Thanks for the flashbacks, not to be confused with flashing! My french blood runs stronger everyday.

ColleenDown said...

I love the picture with the red tree and green roof--I need a copy of that one!

Michelle Wilkes said...

Hi- we are going to be in New Orleans (first time ever) in 3 weeks- our cruise in leaving from there. We have given ourselves a few extra days in the big easy. We need to talk so we can get some recommendations for places to stay and eat! My email: wilkes_michelle@hotmail.com

Katelyn said...

New Orleans looks so amazing! I love all the colors. I have never had a desire to go until now! Your pictures are beautiful. You are so creative!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Amazing pictures. New Orleans looks amazing! My girl Ellen is from there... Now I definitely have to go.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...