Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Haunted Museum

We had another one of our museum misadventures for the record books.  Last week I wanted to get out of the house, so I pushed the attractions button on our gps.   The National Museum of Funeral History came up as the closest.  I thought it would help us get into the Halloween spirit so I packed up the kiddos and drove ten minutes to the museum.   My first clue that it wasn’t a typical tourist spot was when I pulled into a huge empty parking lot.  We paid and the curator led us into a cold dark room full of hearses.   James clung tightly to my skirt and I immediately got goose bumps.  I would have turned around and left if I didn’t just pay ten bucks.  Plus, I felt sorry that we were the only attendees and the museum workers were so excited to see us.  So I distracted James with some crayons in his stroller while I took a quick walk through the exhibits.  The collection of historical information, objects, and funeral mock ups was very impressive.  I quickly learned more than I ever wanted to know about the art of embalming, funerals of past presidents, and the history of the hearse.  I don’t think it was meant to be morbid, but the subject matter couldn’t help but be spooky.  And I think their interior designer was Morticia Adams.  I would have chosen a warmer color for walls and natural lighting from windows to offset all the black;)  If you are ever in Houston around Halloween and want to get in the ghoulish spirit, you should put it on your list.  But you will probably have to go alone, James and I will stick to the perky pumpkin patchJ

I thought James would at least enjoy this prototype of his favorite princess' coffin (circa 1940), but he was completely creeped out.



I didn't post half of my pictures because they were freaking me out while posting late last night.  Especially since Kimme told me Theresa Caputa says white lights in photos means there is a spirit posing.  I will probably be erasing this post after Halloween because I am not sure it is something I want to remember.  Happy Halloween family and friends.  I hope your jack o'lanterns burn bright and your kid's pillowcases runneth over with candy:)  Love, Jess

6 comments:

ColleenDown said...

What a great way to start this ghoulish day--It still makes me laugh out loud!

Dale said...

"Any day above ground is a good day."

I can't help but like that.

cathyg said...

I LOVE this post! Don't get rid of it just post a couple more things so it doesn't show up on the screen! I love the picture of James peeking around the corner! You are so fun to go and try new things!!! Love you!

makana hansen said...

I always wanted to go to that museum. And now with your pictures I don't have to! :)

Anonymous said...

haha! that is EXACTLY how I was picturing it as you were explaining it to me on the phone only creepier! The picture of James peering around the corner shows how nervous he was! Now hurry and remove this post before it haunts your blog ;)

Jackie said...

Your pictures actually capture James looking scared! Hilarious!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...