Friday, October 7, 2011

Growing in a Southern Garden...

Usually I like to be out and about, but lately we’ve been staying close to home, I love taking early morning strolls around our neighborhood as James eats his breakfast in the Bob. Then when John gets home, we take our bikes and Burley for a spin. I absolutely adore the southern antebellum-ish architecture and the lush green gardens. It seems like there are photo opts around every corner and I’ve had to restrain myself from invading our neighbor’s yards with my picture taking happiness. (Which, I seriously thought I was going to be cited by security b/c I probably looked like I was scoping out the neighborhood as I took these quick snapshots:)

I once took pictures of mountains, and now I photograph mansions:) I'd say they are both beautiful in their own majestic way.
I feel like I've gone back in time to the fifties in this neighborhood. I love all the clubs and sense of community.
These crack me up. They have these beautiful yards and then every third house has these cheesy wood cutouts. They are used to display school spirit for homes with school age children. Honestly, I am excited to have a teddy bear bear-cat in our front yard:) Oh, and a flag displaying your favorite football team is also a must:)

I saw this quote awhile back and I’ve been thinking about it since we moved. Last week I got an invite from the Sunshine Committee to join our neighborhood Woman’s Club and come to their October event. I was anxious to meet other woman in the neighborhood so I decided to give it a try. I must say it was quite the experience! It was at a huge beautiful house full of southern bell beauty queens with accents and personalities just like Paula Deen's. I was in heaven, considering she is one of my homemaking heroesJ! They were all honestly some of the nicest ladies I have ever met in my life. I am just trying to figure where I fit in here in our new life. There were moments last night when I longed for Heather’s hippie life in Heber. But back to trying to bloom where I am planted. I know this is just a chapter of a long life. And like I told my sister the other day- enjoy every minute of the marvelous mountains, b/c you never know when you will move. Likewise, I am going to enjoy every day here in Houston, b/c I know someday I will be homesick for it’s beauty, and these lovely housewives. So for now, I will do as the Roman’s do...or in my case...as the Raveneaux Country clubers do, and bloom where I am planted....but be true to my bulb... even if it is a wild flower in a land of perfectly pruned roses:)

Pictures from the dinner spread. Who knew a Halloween party could be so elegant? I wish I would have taken more of the festivities and ladies, but I was feeling picture snapping shy. Next time:)

5 comments:

Heather said...

You have an amazing talent for fitting in wherever you are. Keep blooming!

ColleenDown said...

Well from the looks of these pictures you have been planted in one lovely garden! Oh, it brought back memories though of being the "new girl on the block" Hopefully, moving taught me to always look for the next newbie in town--I know it will do the same for you--plus you will have one long Christmas Card list someday! Love the flowers on this snowy afternoon!

Anonymous said...

I really love that quote "bloom wherever you are planted" it's genius! I bet all those girls were feeling intimidated by your beauty and niceness. It's hard to find your niche but give it time, it will happen. Miss you!

Michelle Wilkes said...

It is hard to bloom in a desert unless you are a cacti. But, I will try. That spread looks fancier than most weddings I have been to! I am currently listening to "The Help" on my ipod, and I envision it looking a lot like your pictures!

ColleenDown said...

Jessica, you know that it will soon be doomsday as soon as you are picture shy!

Love,
Jacob

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...