Sunday, October 2, 2011

Reflections of Fall...

The other night the missionaries were over for dinner and they mentioned being trunky. John had to explain that trunky is missionary lingo for elders whose thoughts are consumed with their home. It is called trunky b/c they basically want to pack their belongings in their trunk and hightail it for home. I am trunky too... For Utah’s tree trunks that is. I miss their white paper-y trunks, and their changing fall leaves (along with my fabulous friends and family of course;). So I’ve been printing pictures from our trips to the mountains and framing them to give the Gregory casa a bit of fall flare...

In my design classes I was taught (said in a snooty accent)... “the décor of a home should always be synonymous with it’s surroundings .” I’ve never been good at that design guideline. Unintentionally, our Utah house had a Hawaiian feel and now our tropical climate Texas house feels more like a Park City mountain retreat. I guess I want to perpetually feel like we are on vacation. Oh well, the heck with rules, I say if it helps reflect who you are, and makes you happy - decorate your house with itJ

I like taking pictures...I like posting pictures...but printing my pictures has never been my forte. But when I went to my Grandma Down’s house this past year and had such a good time looking at her old photos and albums I decided I’d do better. So I’ve been working on getting my favorite files off the desktop and into frames. It is so fabulous to have my family, and favorite memories of the mountains where I can see them as I make dinner. It helps me to feel not so far away. So I will have my cake (Utah trees) and eat it too (living in the Texas tropics)J

7 comments:

Katelyn said...

Such pretty pictures! I'm at the cabin right now, so all I have to do is look out the window and that's what i see. I wish you were here to enjoy it with us!

BarbWitzke said...

Jessica-- I still say you need to become a commercial photographer--your eye for beauty and content is excellent. Hope you keep up printing and hanging photos--Wish I had done more then and not left them in the boxes I am now trying to bail out of. Love, Grandma W.

Chelsea said...

beautiful pics! Im sure every wall of your house will be filled with photos:)

ColleenDown said...

I love the collage, I need to try and put something together too--what a great way to display some favorites. Between the all of us girls, I think we have captured fall!! So I need to call and see how you mounted everything or perhaps you could share the directions with all of us here in the blogosphere!

Anonymous said...

Love the way you have displayed your pics! I have to say that getting my photos printed and into albums is not my favorite thing in the world (mostly cus it takes me weeks) but once I do it I feel so much better afterwards! I doubt my sons will look through the family albums but I have high hopes that their wives will and thank me for it!

lulu said...

Jess this post made me laugh cause savannah & I learned the meaning of "trunky" this summer as well since we spent lots of time with the missionaries in our branch in mallorca. We had no idea what it meant before but we use the word all the time now seeing as we feel that way being so far away from home sometimes too. Looking forward to seeing you over the holidays!
p.s. we won't need to contact your friend we actually found some members to stay with in London! Thank you though!!

Cathy G said...

Jessica,
YOu have to come back and do a derby girls lunch on how to collage!! Beautiful pictures, as always! And tell Kimme that my boys DO look at their photo albums!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...