Wednesday, February 9, 2011

There is a time for everything, and a season...a time to live and a time to die....


Over this cold winter's weekend we said goodbye to a wonderful man...my Grandpa Down.

I hadn't planned on attending the funeral since I said my goodbyes last month on our visit. But when the time came, I really wanted to hear stories, mourn his loss, and celebrate his life with the people who knew him best. John had school he couldn't miss so I hitched a ride with my sister Heather. Many other heartstrings were being pulled the same way since all 17 of his grand kids dropped everything and traveled 3 states to attend the funeral.

My experience this weekend can be summed up as bittersweet. Bitter because he will be so very missed...and sweet because he is finally free from his health burdens and he is able to be with his fam on the other side. It was also so sweet to see my aunts, uncles, cousins, and family rally together & support each other and my grandma. Plus there was lots of laughing to lighten the mood.

I am going to miss sitting outside with him while he had a cigarette and by the twinkle in his eye and his smile, I always felt loved. I am going to miss how he would call me sweet heart, and babe, and watching the gentle way he treated my Grandma.

I know his legacy will live on through his posterity; I saw so many illustrations of his kindness through my family and extended family this weekend.

B/c these are feelings I never want to forget...her are a few photos of family and the funeral...

The looooong road trip...
Drew and I entertaining ourselves with trip treats:)

There were tears shed but also lots of laughing. My cousins and I are lucky to be so close!

I am taking over Grandma's spot as the family photo fanatic.
My life's goal is to be surrounded by loads of love and family just like my Grandpa when I die.

Side note to self... give yummy food to a family in their time of need. Everyday at my Grandma's, this angel lady brought over loads of grub to feed our huge group. Bless her sweet soul!
My dad and uncle Dave gave the girl cousins a tour of their old stomping grounds.



We all wanted something tangible to remember Grandpa by. Plus his clothes are so vintage and cool!
I love you so much Grandpa. I hope that I can be as kind as you and my life can be a reflection of the great man you are. I look forward to taking lots of walks with you again someday.
XOXO,
Jessica

4 comments:

ColleenDown said...

I am so grateful for you Jessica for recording such sweet memories--the tears are flowing again.

lulu said...

Jess you captured the weekend perfectly. Made me cry again but they were good tears. I'm so happy to have the family we do :)

Heather said...

Absolutely perfect tribute and account of the weekend. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Jess, I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was an amazing grandpa. I loved seeing your whole family-you are a great bunch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...