Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Extra Extra: Girl Meets Grandma for First Time...

When I was little, I used to dream of finding out I had a long lost sister and we’d be reunited and be instant besties. I obviously didn’t understand the logistics of having a long lost sibling and as far as I know (unless they go all Schwarzenegger on us) my parents have always been true to their nuptials. So now that I don’t want an extra sibling (although finding out Oprah is your sister would be sweeeeet), I’d say the next best thing would be a long lost Grandma:) Meet my Great Grandma Silvia. Well I guess she wasn’t always lost and I’ve always heard about her, but never put two and two together to figure out how we are related. Grandma Silvia is my Grandpa Down’s step-mom. She has always lived in Texas (which seemed so far away back in the day) so my family and I haven’t met her. This weekend was her 82nd birthday party, so we all traveled to see her and wish her happy birthday.

For all my brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles out there, this is Bobbie - Grandpa Down's half brother. It was so cool to meet him because he had some of the same characteristics of Grandpa Down. He seemed really loving, kind, and laid back. Just like our beloved Grandpa.
I've always loved looking at old family photos and hearing family stories. Especially when they are laced with the romance and excitement of the wild west. So I was pressing Grandma Silvia for lots of info about my great Grandpa. It turns out he was quite the cowboy and he used to ride his horse to her farm in Texas. It was love at first site and she married him at the "ripe old age" of 13!
Our reunion with our lost relatives probably won't be featured on Good Morning America anytime soon...but it was still exciting. We really enjoyed visiting and appreciated the sweet southern hospitality. Thanks Grandma Down for setting it up:)

8 comments:

cap said...

wow married at 13! that is crazy! Well that is great that you got to meet them! I feel like I have a long lost grandma out there too because I never see her and she only lives in St. G. (the mother of my real father)

Anonymous said...

I didn't meet Grandpa's dad and step-mom until your Uncle David had gone to Utah for college. They are all special people, including Bobby's sons, Michael and Clay. I love and appreciate all of them very much. It was a sad day when your Great Grandpa, Auston Provence died, but I was happy to have visited wth them here in Klamath Falls a couple of times and we were able to visit in Texas several times. I was so happy you and Heather were able to meet them!

ColleenDown said...

You have no idea the "talk-a-thon" that has been going on around here since you posted, with Andy working through the fact that he has another Grandma. He talked about "grandma Silvia" all night, you know how he is about long lost relatives. I am so glad to get to see the pictures.

P.S. I have looked long and hard at all the siblings and so far no one resembles the cleaning ladies or the lawn mowing guys--I will keep my eyes open!

ColleenDown said...

You have no idea the "talk-a-thon" that has been going on around here since you posted, with Andy working through the fact that he has another Grandma. He talked about "grandma Silvia" all night, you know how he is about long lost relatives. I am so glad to get to see the pictures.

P.S. I have looked long and hard at all the siblings and so far no one resembles the cleaning ladies or the lawn mowing guys--I will keep my eyes open!

Anonymous said...

haha, your mom's comments are funny. married at 13??? geez, everyone better back off of me getting married too young! i am kinda jealous about this long lost relative thing, i want one :)

lulu said...

That is so fun that you got to meet her! Its funny because we've always heard about her & made those lovely family talent show videos for her but we didn't even know her. Thanks for making me feel more acquainted with her. And how interesting that grandpa had a half-brother.. i need to start learning more about the family history!

cathyg said...

That is cool! You can never have enough family! I bet it was a great birthday gift for her to meet you and Heather and your families!

Laura said...

How fun to meet some long-lost relatives! Crazy story that she was married at 13!?!?! I love hearing wild stories like that! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...