Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Gregorys and the Gatsbys...

Texas definitely has lots of mega wealthy people, with deep Dior pockets! A lot of the pockets filled with “old money” from the oil days. I’m not going to be naive and say money can’t buy happiness, b/c I think a little sure can help. On the other hand, I've seen enough episodes of the Housewives of Beverly Hills to know that Kelsey Grammer’s wife doesn’t have it so great either. I believe happiness comes from having a purpose, someone who loves you, food in your belly, and giving gratitude for the gifts God has given. That being said...I still love looking at all the big shiny things in this town...Like the buildings, handbags, sports cars, home stores, and most of all the stately estates...

We took a Sunday drive through George H.W. Bush's neighborhood. I am sure he would have invited us in for a BBQ if he knew we were passing by:). But we didn't want to be a burden. George Foreman also lives here in Houston. I'd have been more inclined to knock on his door for dinner...b/c He can cook frozen steaks on his grill;)

Lately I love going by the Galleria to window shop and people watch. Dear Kimme, Houston has a West Elm!... You and Liza can appreciate this:)

John pointed out that this fabulous couch is worth more than our car He drives to work:)

James doesn't mind we have an old car. He would take a ride on an escalator before a spin in an Escalade any day.


Saturday we dragged John around our favorite spots in the city. Since he is usually hard at work when we're doing our exploring.
Here is a view from the top of that tallest building. Houston seems to have hundreds of these highway interchanges. I'd be perpetually lost if it wasn't for my GPS!
How did we ever survive a new city before our sexy sounding Aussie on our dash?
As I wrote that last comment about being lost, this guy started playing the world's saddest song on the worlds largest violin:)
After a weekend like this, I'd say I feel as lucky as a Houston heiress...and we hardly spent a cent. But if I so happen to strike oil in my backyard tomorrow, you bet your bottom dollar, I'd be glad to be a billionaire too:)

6 comments:

ColleenDown said...

So this video made me laugh out loud--not just LOL but the real thing, because it looks so much like an eTrade commercial where James is driving around trying to figure out which piece of real estate he wants to invest in. And, excuse me....I can appreciate a West Elm store too....do you think I ONLY shop at Kmart! Glad to see another post, three days is my limit before I start to worry about you dying of heat stroke or something on the subway! (Skiing, snowmobiling, heat stroke---why are all my deepest fears weather related-hmmm)

Kristin said...

Houston looks amazing! Except, the freeways kind of look terrifying. I would be so lost there! I'm glad you guys are enjoying it so much.

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHHH, West Elm! So jealous! I frequent their online boutique but I bet it is so much better in the flesh :) I laughed really hard at that video too, so ridiculous how huge these houses are- you would need a whole staff just to keep it clean! Love the posts, I feel like I'm there with you :)

lulu said...

i can't wait til you can be my tour guide in Houston sometime in the future. I also want to spend some time with James! He is getting bigger with every post.

Chelsea said...

James is so culturally immersed at such a youg age!!! what a great advantage in life! you are one great mum and adventurer.

Eliza said...

I was about to say the same thing as Kimme. I always look at all this stuff online and wish "i want to just TOUCH it!" and see how it really looks! A very good (depressing) lesson is to be learned in the movie "The Joneses" about money. I bet all the people in these giant neighborhoods are always comparing what their money can do. If you find oil in your backyard I hope you sprinkle a little of it this way ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...