Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Derby Days of Summer.

While in Utah I was able to join in on a girls get-away with my grandma, aunts, cousins, sisters, and mom... *whooow* that was mouthful. Now you can see why we just call ourselves the derby gals. Plus, sisterhoods are always more fabulous when you have a fun name...Just ask Hollywood's Ya Ya Sisterhood, or the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants ...they will concur I'm sure;)

Our little club has become so close over the last few years thanks to our monthly meetings (ie, we get together once a month for lunch and eat homemade cuisine), activities like cross country skiing and swimming, and we all have blogs to keep tabs on each other.

Once a year we have retreat. This year was pretty special because we initiated the younger girls into our group.

First stop was to my Grandma and Grandpa Witzke's to wash their windows. In return they fed us some fantastic food.

Lettuce topped with fruit, sherbet, and cottage cheese. Mmmm, it really was good. We laughed because you could only have a lunch like this with ladies. My meat and potatoes man would not have been amused if I put this on his plate after a hard day at work.

Looking through grandma's old photos. This my friends is why I take too many pictures...for future family functions, so everyone can look through the albums and reminisce and laugh at the funny fashions.
After eating lunch and a lot of laughing looking through a catalog of random inventions my grandma had in her bathroom, we loaded back in the cars and drove to sunny St. George.
After touring our party pad, we put on our suits and headed to the pool.
Of course synchronized swimming ensued.
The youngest derby, Jocelyn. And the youngest youngest derby girl is also pictured here- in Romney's tummy.
The old ladies;)
how to make a <span class=
And the young-ens.

Slumber party time! The Derby girls take their sleepover snacks seriously.
My Grandma was the m.c. for a pajama fashion show.
Best chips and dip of my life. Romney, please post the recipe asap.
My family modeled the sleep ware of the the Chi Omegas from Malibu beach . I got to be my alter ego from the eighties, Tiffany.
My Aunt Cheryl really put herself out there (literally) for the fashion show. I had to put a before shot from getting ready for the pool to prove she really doesn't have a pot belly (it looks a little too authentic). Thanks to her hilarious walk (or waddle , rather) down the runway, the tone was set for some tummy aching laughs until late into the night.
Rise and shine it's morning stretch time. We started the day bright and early (early being emphasized) with a walk. Then we recharged our calorie count with some scrumptious sourdough pancakes. Then it was off for a day of shopping, ice-cream, and more swimming.
Later that night we went to Tuacahn, an outdoor theater in the heart of the red rocks.
We saw the off Broadway production of Grease for a little summer loving, Danny Zuko style.
The performance was perfect and the setting was serene...a great way to close the day. Photography was prohibited during the play so here is us posing outside the theater instead.
Many thanks for all the fun memories, everyone's efforts, and crazy good cuisine. In my book, a girl's getaway is always a good idea. I can't wait until next year. I will post all the pics online soon. Love ya ladies!

6 comments:

cathyg said...

Jessica, the whole post is awesome! I love the pictures of all of us at Grandma's and at Tuacahn. The girls moving picture is cool, too! The black and white of you and Heather in the pool is awesome! Thanks for being so quick to get them posted! So glad you were there, it wouldn't have been the same without you!

Chelsea said...

You have to stop looking like such a model :) my goodness i dont think a not fabulous pic of you exists!!!! great post

jessica&john.com said...

Thanks Aunt Cathy and Chelsea:) Everyone's comments always make my day. Believe me, there are plenty of bad pics of me. I just don't post them;) And when I am prego, don't expect to see me on here for about ten to twelve months. Thant's just not a good look for me;)

ColleenDown said...

This took forever to load on the cabin internet but it was so worth the wait. Thanks for memorializing the trip, you captured it perfectly, just like I captured the picture of you and Heather--I think it will be sitting on Dad's desk now :-) I love Heather's stretches and am pleased not to see myself stretching for the world wide web to enjoy! Thanks for always being the historian--we should have taken a picture of the lawn furniture since it has become another tradition we all share!

Romney said...

Always amazing photos! THanks for taking pictures for us and capturing all these fun times! We loved seeing you last weekend!

Cheryl said...

I have no idea how we will function without you for the next few months at Derby Girls events! This is fabulous. Thanks for showing my dual body shots to preserve my dignity!

Maybe I'll just hijack your entire post and drop it into my blog. It would be fun to see how many different comments we can get if we just spread it throughout all of our blogs!

Loved the weekend. Loved seeing you. Loved reliving it through the blog. Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...