Friday, December 2, 2011

A Cleaver-ish Christmas...

Yesterday, I cut, glued, and strung my little heart out, all for the men in my life.  Why?...B/c I learned early on in my marriage that the gifts that flip John’s switch are gifts that don’t cost a cent.  He seems to appreciate little acts of service, and small surprises more than anything I could buy him at the mall.  So for Christmas I have to get creative.   Enter our annual Christmas countdown.  Every day for a month I do a June Cleaver-ish act of kindness-sewing on a button, making him his favorite dinner, etc.   It’s a lot of work.  And some days I think it would be so much easier if he just wanted a dang ipod.  But I know that serving someone helps me love them more and even though Christmas morning the bottom of our tree is pretty bare, we are usually closer than ever b/c of the month’s countdown.  And not breaking the bank is also a bonus:)
 This year I decided I want to feel closer to Christ by Christmas also, so I am doing a special countdown for him.  Just back to basic stuff like saying my prayers, making it on time to sacrament, etc. 
 To hold me accountable, and because I blog a lot when I get excited (see previous Christmases) I am sure I will be posting some of it:)
Happy Friday friends:)



8 comments:

Heather said...

I love it and can't wait to see what you do. I should stop being so lame and help my familia countdown til Christmas. I'll have to start tomorrow though.

The Vreelands said...

Your countdown calendar is so cute! Service for Christmas is such a great idea.

ColleenDown said...

You are an ambitious lady--I am glad we will get to share in the fun! Love your creativity!

Unknown said...

What wonderful, creative ideas! I love them.

Mike and Carla said...

It's great you are focusing on the true meaning of Christmas, i.e., service to others and a love of Christ. Carla and I love your blog and looks at it several times a day.

Chelsea said...

so creative and sweet

Anonymous said...

cute Jess! you are so creative and thoughtful, John is one lucky guy!

makana hansen said...

This is so smart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...